Tuesday, November 24, 2009

For Scribb

There are the more than occasional moments when I question my commitment to the fucking F word; when I simply can not think of another thing worth “sharing.” Then life happens–always when I’m not looking. Someone from this bizarre cyber world assumes more than virtual shape and becomes so human, so real, it moves me to tears. Recently, for instance…My favorite bartender, a man behind the stick here in Manhattan, was reading a newspaper and suddenly saw this explosion of color in one eye then nothing. Nothing but darkness. He’d had a stroke and gone nearly blind.

Now, I have never met this man. He has never mixed me a Stoli martini up with an olive. But within hours, word had gone out among his virtual friends and I, finally, called him. We spoke. After ten minutes of conversation, I was reminded not just of how remarkable this man is but of how remarkable this world in which we “met” can be.

With age, vision, sometimes, worsens. We lose sight of possibilities. The intensity of dreams shrinks like the fine print on a Tylenol bottle. But today, this man and his extraordinary spirit, his resilience, seems to have restored my vision. In the grandest sense of the word. It has put me back in touch with the reason why I’m here. Check him out.

Posted by Brenda in 16:39:06
Comments

8 Responses to “For Scribb”

1. Ken says:

That’s because this little patch of cyberspace is truly a gathering place of interested and interesting people. I only knows Scribbler as the nom de pour of a veteran Manhattan bartender. Every time I read him, I smell the drinks, catch whiffs of the perfumes, see the glasses sparkle in the light. I see the black and white photos of long gone sportsmen–I think prizefighters and old New York Giants, maybe Mel Ott or Carl Hubble.

I can taste that first sip of Jack Daniels as I settle in at the bar….

2. Brenda says:

So, Ken, go and tell him. Not sure if he’s wearing a patch or not but he’ll hear you…

3. Jeff says:

“He has never mixed me a Stoli martini up with an olive.”

Brenda, dear, that’s because there is no such thing as a martini made with vodka, regardless of what the hoi polloi might insist.

4. Ken says:

Brenda: Done. Thank you so much for the heads up. BTW. It takes a great deal of persistence to get comments up.

5. blue girl says:

that’s because there is no such thing as a martini made with vodka

Oh, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff into infinity…

6. Brenda says:

Oh blue girl, blue girl, blue girl into infinity… LOL!!!

7. Brenda says:

Jonathan: Tried and tried but nothing comes up. will give it a shot later. but thanks.

8. siobhan says:

Love the virtual friends network. Scrib was thrilled about your call — especially your long “Fuuuuuuuuck” into his answering machine.